If you haven’t popped a spray top on your peroxide yet, it’s go time.
I’m regularly talking about how I don’t like to disinfect or sanitize my person or my environment. My priority is protecting and preserving my health in part by maintaining the beautiful and beneficial balance of the microbiome on, in, and around me. There is a time and a place, of course, and many of you have asked what I do then.
This is not a daily use item for me but so handy to keep around. Peroxide is a much less toxic disinfectant than just about any you’ll find in the stores. It’s components are hydrogen and oxygen. H2O2. According to CDC, “Commercially available 3% hydrogen peroxide is a stable and effective disinfectant when used on inanimate surfaces.” It’s been used in many studies and reported to be active against a wide range of microorganisms, including:
It’s also highly accessible and extremely inexpensive. It’s almost colorless and odorless. It has many great uses around the home and even other settings, including medical facilities.
Some ways I use Hydrogen Peroxide:
💦 Spray down the toilet brush after using and before returning to its home
💦 Spray down the sink after it’s been in contact with raw meat
💦 Spray down knobs, switches and surfaces when someone in the home is actively infected with something nasty
💦 Add a cup or two to a load of white laundry to help whiten and brighten. That’s all most “Chlorine Free Bleach” really is but it’s sold for a much higher price.
💦 Spray grout and scrub after several minutes or longer to remove stains
💦 Soak toothbrush in during and after illness
💦 Spray down counters and other surfaces when disinfecting is necessary
💦 Spot treat stains including blood, sweat, coffee, and wine stains on white clothes
💦 Combat mold
As always, be good to your bacteria. When you need something stronger, this option is #alittlelesstoxic 🙌🏼